One Christmas long ago, I happened upon a beautiful kitty dookie in the liter box; a wonderful little cat turd wrapped like a barber-pole with a glistening piece of tinsel. My roommate and I placed a hook in the decorative feces and hung it neatly on the Christmas tree. (There are no excuses for being young and stupid.) To our delight, Willie – my tinsel eating cat, produced several more “natural” ornaments for our tree that year. The tree was beautiful but pungent.
At least once a day the phone at the clinic blows up with a panicked owner wondering if they need to make their dog vomit because of something they’ve eaten. It’s “dietary indiscretion” because doctors find it difficult to write “stupid dog” in the medical chart. More interestingly, we rarely get the same question about a cat. Because cats aren’t that stupid and they only vomit recreationally, that is: for the shear joy of watching us clean up the mess while sitting nearby, pawing the puke off their face.
For ten years Veterinary Practice News has devoted an entire issue to a pseudo-competition amongst Veterinarians nation wide to determine a winner of ‘the most bizarre item ingested by our pets’. A case story and accompanying x-ray are submitted, and then we all vote. Strange? Not really. Remember, groups of Veterinarians will step into elevators with complete strangers onboard, while we are engaged in spirited conversation about bloody diarrhea. Don’t be a victim, check with your travel agent and verify that there is not a Veterinary convention in the town where you are vacationing.